Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Week 3 blog

Media Literacy ; Ms. Cassidy

This video impressed me. What impressed me was not the age of the students, it was the fact that a school is actually giving students the tools to use technology. Lets face it. Technology is in place to make things easier. The internet allows us to literally have the "world" at our fingertips. Technology is not easy to use, once you learn it. As you can see in this video first graders are doing it with ease. This video is impressive because the school is teaching the children how to use technology. Maybe the schools are finally changing!

Little Kids; Big potential

I certainly hope that my EDM 310 class teaches me enough to keep up with these kids. I am thankfully a secondary education major, so hopefully I will have a bit more time to master technology. I think it is great that the kids get to use thier Nintendo DS. It captures thier attention, and they are having fun, and learning! Who knew all of those things were possible at once! I am totally jealous kids.

Here's whats coming! ( one year old uses iphone)

Again, I feel like the child's age is not what is impressive. Most of us grew up without computers in our home, and that is why it is difficult for grown ups to adapt to this new way of life. If the technology was available, we would have known how to use it. By the time this child is 20, there will be some other kind of technology, and that iphone he knows so well will be obsolete. Perhaps the fact that he has a technological background will help him adapt easily to newer technology. We as a society however, did not grow up playing with cell phones. My parents did not even own cell phones until I got one. My childhood was spent on a sit-n-spin, not playing with an iphone. I think that is why people find it difficult to accept technology as a way of life, because that is what it is. We just aren't used to it, but I have a feeling poeple are warming up. I mean do you know anyone who can function without their cell phone?



3 comments:

  1. Haley,

    You bring up an important thing about time. In this class you are going to be exposed to a number of technologies and you have the time and the support structure to learn about them now at your own pace. When you become a teacher it is going to be more difficult to learn about a lot of new technologies due to time constraints. I think all of you are going to be ahead of the game as we move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to the first video. Maybe once we get into the classroom, we will have the necessary tools. This is an amazing age we live in, and it is exciting to see how we are no longer really limited by the things maybe that we were limited by in our elementary school days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I think it's great to see how schools have adapted and started using technology for the student's benefit. I think EDM 310 is going to teach everyone a lot.

    ReplyDelete